Help Keep Your Retirement Account Cyber Secure
Most of us know the importance of securing online banking and shopping accounts. But have you made sure your retirement plan account is secure? With cyberattacks on the rise, there’s never been a better time to take a few minutes and to ensure your account is protected against cyber threats.
The Department of Labor has provided a list of recommendations to help secure your retirement account. Check out a sampling of the guidance below:
- Register, set up, and routinely monitor your online account: Registering your account can prevent cybercriminals from assuming your identity, and checking your account regularly reduces the risk of fraudulent account access.
- Use a strong and unique password: Choose a 14-character or more password that isn’t found in the dictionary and uses letters (upper and lower case) and special characters. Change your password every 120 days.
- Keep your contact information current: Update your contact information regularly so you can be reached if there is a problem with your account. You can do so by clicking on “My Profile” on the top right hand corner of the Dashboard page.
- Close or delete unused accounts: Be sure to close any unused accounts to minimize your vulnerability to cyber threats.
- Avoid free Wi-Fi networks: Free Wi-Fi available at airports, hotels, or coffee shops may be convenient, but it is also convenient for cybercriminals looking to steal your information. Use your cellphone to connect or home network instead.
- Beware of phishing attacks: Phishing messages aim to trick you into sharing personal information, such as passwords or account numbers. Never click links or open attachments that look suspicious.
Want to Learn More?
This is just one of over 100 useful topics you can access in your Financial Wellness Center. To get started, log in to your account and select the Financial Wellness Center tab.
Newport offers a Participant Protection Guarantee. Learn more about the steps you can take to be eligible.