Sep 07, 2021
Although initially created to help small businesses, many employers with traditional, standalone retirement plans are now “diving in” to pooled employer plans (PEPs). As this new retirement plan option grows in popularity, are you asking your clients and prospects if they have considered a PEP?
PEP Benefits for Employers
A PEP provides employers a way of offering employees a workplace retirement savings option with reduced burdens and costs, according to acting Assistant Secretary of Labor Jeanne Klinefelter Wilson.1
Because the Pooled Plan Provider (PPP) is responsible for ensuring the PEP meets the requirements of ERISA and the tax code, employers can minimize the time spent on managing the plan and reduce the chances of an operational or fiduciary misstep.
PEP Benefits for Advisors
Advisors who were once skeptical of PEPs are now considering adding these plans to their book of business because of the benefits for their clients—and their practice. Advisors who work with a single or limited number of PEPs can streamline their practice. Here’s how:
- Plan design discussions become more efficient when using the same PEP document with multiple employers.
- Working with one set of onboarding and service teams reduces the number of contacts made and time spent on each plan.
- Allows more time to focus on working with plan participants and supporting employers rather than troubleshooting problems with various recordkeepers and service providers.
- The PEP’s 3(38) investment manager takes on the burden of preparing investment reports. Advisors still have the option to deliver investment reviews to their plan sponsor clients, but will free up time by using the investment reports generated by the 3(38).
Types of employers who are good candidates for a PEP
Employers of all sizes can be candidates for a PEP, as well as employers that already sponsor a plan. A more important factor is the employer’s objective. For example, employers that want to outsource most of their fiduciary and administrative responsibilities are prime candidates.
Talk to your plan sponsor clients and prospects about PEPs if they:
- Want to begin offering a retirement plan, but want to limit expense, fiduciary liability and time commitment in running the plan
- Sponsor an existing plan and are looking to lower costs and outsource many of the fiduciary responsibilities to an expert
- Want a turnkey solution without having to customize documents and plan features
- Are facing state-mandated retirement plan deadlines and need an alternative to a state-run plan
They will need to understand the benefits of this type of plan. They also must know the factors to consider when selecting and monitoring plan features and providers to help them make informed decisions that are best for their business and employees.
Newport Secure Retirement PEP
If you do not offer your own PEP, consider the Newport Secure Retirement PEP. It’s designed for advisors who want to offer a complete, yet affordable, retirement solution to existing and new clients. Watch our video or read our digital brochure to learn more about the features and benefits of this exciting retirement plan option for your business.
To find out more or to request a proposal, visit newportpep.com.
1Department of Labor News Release, November 12, 2020, https://www.dol.gov/newsroom/releases/ebsa/ebsa20201112
Newport Group, Inc. and its affiliates provide recordkeeping, plan administration, trust and custody, consulting, ﬁduciary consulting, insurance and brokerage services. Investment Advisory and ﬁduciary consulting services are offered through Newport Group Consulting, LLC, a registered investment adviser and wholly owned subsidiary of Newport Group, Inc. For more information about Newport Group Consulting and its services, please visit newportgroup.com or refer to our Form ADV Part 2, which is available by contacting us at 407-333-2905, or visiting our website.
Newport Group, Inc. is a registered Pooled Plan Provider offering professionally-managed Pooled Employer Plans (PEPs). More information regarding Newport's registration and available plans can be found using the search function at www.efast.dol.gov. 20210907-1820747
FOR INSTITUTIONAL USE ONLY. NOT FOR USE WITH THE PUBLIC.